Friday, June 22, 2012

More to Explore

Now let's take things back to the park.

I was spending much of my free time working the front desk in the Visitor Center at CONG during my first few weeks as a VIP, and, though I was learning a ton, it kept me from being able to get out and explore the park.  I didn't like not being able to provide first hand information when a visitor would ask about a particular trail.  So, one weekend I did my best to keep my camera and binocs in my pack and hiked the remaining 20 or so miles of trail that I had not yet seen.  My camera did make an appearance from time to time and the following images are from various hikes over the last few months.

First, a series of neat trees:

Before we hit the trail, right outside of the Visitor Center you will find this neat little plant.





This is Devil's Walking Stick, also known as the Toothache Tree.  I took this photo because I love the pattern of the leaves, but it's a really cool plant.  It's called Devil's Walking Stick because it has massive thorns that grow all along its trunk.  It's called the Toothache Tree because Native Americans used to chew on the leaves to relieve tooth pain.  It thrives in sunlight and is often found in a spot where a large tree had fallen years before leaving the canopy open and allowing the sun in.  It has compound leaves.  In the image below, the big circle marks a single leaf.
"A" marks a leaflet, and "B" marks a leaflet on a leaflet...a leafletlet???  I find that to be pretty fancy!

Now, a funky-looking Water Tupelo (aka, Tupelo Gum).  These trees have a neat hydro-adaptation.  We all know that the Bald Cypress shoots up knees from its root system.  Folks used to think that these served as a kind of snorkle for the tree, but Duke University debunked this idea a few years ago.  On September 21, 1989, hurricane Hugo tore through Congaree National Park and forever changed the floodplain.  They lost more than 1000 trees, but not a single Bald Cypress.  The knees shoot up through the root systems of other cypress trees, so they are all inner-locked.  Talk about community support! 


Water Tupelos, like the one above, have a similar adaptation...they form root-balls.  It is not uncommon to see a tangle of roots protruding from the ground around the Tupelos.   Rather than connecting via knees, the root systems of different trees interlock in a tangle of root knots.  You can see roots protruding from the ground just to the right of the base of this tree.  This photo was taken just off of the Oakridge Trail.


The tree pictured below is simply neat.


A rainy day in the floodplain:

 A few weeks ago (while I was out of town) we got a whole week of much needed rain.  It stopped right about the time I returned.  Having been away from Columbia for a couple of weeks, I was itching to get out to CONG.  It was late afternoon when I made it and Ranger Lindsay was just about to head out and "rove" the boardwalk, so I joined her.
It was neat to see the floodplain with some water in it!  Flood season runs from November through about March.  Typically the boardwalk should flood every year, but it has been 2 years since the last flood and 3 years since the last proper flood.






 I look forward to being able to kayak over the upper-boardwalk one of these years when the next flood coasts through!  But, this was the most I saw this year, and the water was just barely up to the bottom of the boards on the lower-boardwalk.  Weston Lake sure swelled over its banks though and Lindsay and I stopped for a few minutes to have a look before heading back to the Visitor Center.



Some general photos of the floodplain:

I think most of these were taken along Weston Lake Loop.




 The water is Cedar Creek, and the yellow flowers are Butterweed.  According to the USDA, Butterweed is non-toxic, but there are many livestock owners that will argue otherwise.  It is probably the most prevalent flower in the park, and this is because the feral hogs won't touch it.  I know I won't be adding any Butterweed to my salads any time soon!

 Speaking of feral hogs....


These guys are super destructive and we have an estimated population of 2500-5000 living (and multiplying) in the park.  The park superintendent is currently working with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and local hunters to develop a management plan.  The neat thing about it is that the park is surrounded by private hunt clubs and the wild pig roasts put on by folks that I've gotten to know through the park are legendary---and for good reason as I learned a few weeks ago!

So, how about other (non-bird) critters in the park?

 Just this morning I stopped on Sims trail to take a picture of a bird.  I herd someone walking up behind me and I turned around to see a white-tail doe and her young fawn following me up the trail!  They noticed me about the time that I noticed them, and we watched each other for a few seconds before the changed heading.  I was not able to get an unobstructed photo of them.  This is the best I got, but you can definitely see those precious spots!


Last weekend I was on Weston Lake Loop and I came upon (and nearly stepped upon) this Red-bellied Water Snake basking in the middle of the trail.
Red-bellied Water Snake basking
And an earlier paddling trip into the park put us up-close and personal with loads of snakes including a Brown Water Snake and another Red-bellied.  Lots of Cottonmouths as well, but most of those were on a trip when I didn't bother much with the camera.
Brown Water Snake in a tree over Cedar Creek

Red-bellied Water Snake
One more Red-bellied:




Turtles are a guaranteed sight at Weston Lake.


There is also a massive Common Snapping turtle that is often seen hanging out below the boardwalk overlook.  We call him Weston and we figure he's probably well over 100 years old. 

Speaking of massive, check out this Giant Lichen Orbweaver...its abdomen was an inch and a half in diameter.  Ranger Kathleen and I came across it on the West Boundary Rd.  One think I know for sure, had I walked into this web I would have been scared for life!

Giant Lichen Orbweaver



Some of the other reptiles I've run into...

Anoles:


Broad-headed Skinks:

Five-lined Skinks (often mistakenly called Blue-Tailed skinks when they are immature because the sport a bright blue tail):

And there is one more, but this post is already too long so I'll put it in another.

No comments:

Post a Comment