Sunday, May 6, 2012

CONG Fever

I need to do a lot of updating here. I have tons of photos (I'll start a Flickr account), loads of new bird species, and plenty of neat experiences. But, I've been spending my spare time---and some not so spare time---playing in the forest rather than blogging.

A couple of months ago I officially became a VIP (Volunteers in Parks) with the NPS, and I have volunteered at CONG every weekend since with a few weekdays thrown in here and there. I usually work the front desk as this is where they need the most help. But, I also tag along on guided walks helping out and taking photos for the park, help with guided canoe tours (I ended up in the creek a couple of weeks ago trying to recover a canoe after some of our visitors capsized), and do any other little odd jobs that are needed.

It's been fun getting to know the park and the people who work there. I've learned a lot, but I didn't realize how much until today. Today is International Migration Day (I saw my first Overbird!) and a national bird count day, I went into the park early to help out with the event and start breaking in a new pair of Vibram FiveFinger shoes that I scored at yesterday's REI garage sale in Pineville, NC.

I hung around the visitor center chatting with staff and visitors and doing some copy machine troubleshooting for a while before starting out. A women's hiking group from Charlotte, NC came in and I spoke with them for a while about their trail options as they waited for everyone to arrive.

I ended up hitting the trail the same time the hiking group was setting out. I was planning to do the 4.4 mile Weston Lake Loop, and they were doing the 6.6 mile Oakridge Trail. I was trying to keep my mileage low as the new minimalist shoes alter one's foot-strike, providing a barefoot-type experience, and you are supposed to start out with short distances as your body becomes accustomed to the new stride. Weston Lake and Oakridge both start out on the Boardwalk Loop and share the same path for the first mile or so.

As we hiked along I spoke with the women about the park and pointed out some of its more distinctive features. I told them about the different trees and plants we encountered, pointed out various signs of the animals in the park, entertained them with stories of park history, identified many of the bird songs that we were listening to, and discussed the different ecosystems found in the park. When it came time for us to part ways, we were all having too much fun, so I continued on with them on Oakridge. I found and pointed out different birds, spotted snakes (two Red-bellied Water Snakes and a Black Rat Snake), and identified the flowers that we passed.

It was a great experience, and I'm thrilled to find that I was able to answer nearly all of the questions that they had about the park. They went on and on about how great CONG is and how it is now one of their top hiking choices because learning about the park made it that much more interesting. After we returned, several of the women sought me out (I'm not too hard to spot these days) to thank me and tell me again how much they enjoyed the impromptu guided-walk.

I had a blast and it felt really great to share the knowledge that I've learned over the last couple of months. I saw very clearly how much it enhanced their time in and appreciation for the park. I can't wait to do it again!

3 comments:

  1. A really great post Laura! Your description of your volunteer experience is exactly how I feel about doing this too. Very rewarding (and fun) isn’t it?

    John and Ellen
    connectedtothevinephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have found your bliss! i am so glad that you love sharing your love of nature. I look forward to being on one of your guided hikes. You have a gift that will enrich you all your life and also enrich others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me so very happy, Laura! It is pretty blissful, isn't it!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete