Sunday, March 18, 2012

FIRE in CONG!!!

As I drove into the park, I could tell that the lingering haze was not the remnants of an early morning fog.

A smoky haze covers the entrance road to CONG


Maybe it was the way it hung so thickly and solidly in the air.  Or, perhaps it was the sooty remains of dead leaves and the scorched trunks of the surrounding pines that tipped me off.  Congaree National Park had burned, and the fire was still smouldering in places.

An old log continues to smoulder





Okay, I'm being dramatic.  As I got near the park entrance I was warned by a progression of signs reading "Prescribed Burn Ahead Do Not Report" and "Warning Smoke Ahead".  Plus, I knew that they had been planning to burn this month.  CONG has had a very successful program of prescribed burns.  It has proved an effective technique in the past when a burn on neighboring lands got out of control and spread into Congaree.  Because of this practice by the NPS, there was not much organic fuel on the ground in the park and the fire was easily contained. 

This is a pretty cool thing to see.  I had inquired about volunteering for the burn, but they have extensive certification that one must go through to be eligible.  It sounded like they were in need of volunteers though, so I might look into it for next year.  A few areas were closed including the campground, Kingsnake Trail (which I had planned to hike), the Cedar Creek canoe launch, and Bluff trail and campground.

Area Closed!

I stuck to the boardwalk.  I was a little concerned that the heavy smell of smoke would get to me before too long, but eventually I no longer noticed it.  There were areas visible from the boardwalk where the haze of the smoke invaded the undergrowth, but it was not imposing.

Ground-level smoke visible from the boardwalk




It had been a couple of weeks since I had been to the park and the change of seasons was already very obvious.  Grass had started to grow thickly on the previously grey ground, and the trees are perking up with bright green adornment.  In general, there had been a shift from the predominately grey and drab brown colors of the old growth forest to a prevailing green tone. It is a refreshing change.

Green is the new Grey!

The butterflies are out and about.  They hold two butterfly counts in the summer, similar to the bird count.  I suppose I will try to participate, but I don't know nothin' bout no butterflies.  I have learned that this is a Gemmed Satyr:

Gemmed Satyr, one of many that I saw

This one fascinates me because, though all-round fairly drab, it has a shiny arch of gem-like reflective spots (obviously giving it its name) on its lower wings.  It's a neat contrast.

I always end up with some great photos of a Hermit Thrush.  These little critters basically hop up, tap on the camera lens to get my attention, then stand back and pose!  They are not afraid of letting you get close.

Hermit Thrush, a.k.a. spotlight hound

And then it was time to head to class.  I love having somewhere like this that is close enough I can just pop in for a few hours before I start my day.

In a week CONG is hosting an amateur photography workshop.  Hopefully I'll pick up some tips that will enhance the quality of the photos I subject y'all to.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Outstanding post Laura! Thanks for the update and photos from Congaree and for describing the burn. We had wondered if the burn did in fact happen. Wish I was going to be there for the photo class.

    John and Ellen
    connectedtothevinephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, guys! I'm sorry I missed y'all before you skipped town. I was looking forward to visiting Harry Hampton with y'all, but it was a pretty busy week after I got back. We'll have to do it next time y'all are down here.

      Delete